FRACTIONAL SUSTAINABILITY MANAGER
Why hire an ESG Consultant on-demand?
It’s no secret that small and mid-sized businesses – like yours – are increasingly aware of their environmental and social responsibilities. You hear it on the news. You hear it from Boards. Customers, lenders, bankers, and other stakeholders are asking about environmental, social and governance (ESG) plans and policies. However, reviewing your business’ sustainable practices and scores is hard. It’s often no one’s full time job. You can send an employee to “ESG” workshops, but they don’t have time to become an expert in new regulations or reporting frameworks. Without knowledge and bandwidth, companies are either making up a sustainability strategy or just not doing it. This is where Fractional ESG & Sustainability Managers come in.
What is a Fractional ESG & Sustainability Manager?
Fractional ESG or Sustainability managers are professionals who provide part-time, flexible sustainability expertise to businesses. Some call it Sustainability consulting on-demand. A fractional sustainability manager is a professional who works part-time or on a project basis to provide sustainability expertise to businesses.
Meet ThisRock – We’re Fractional Sustainability Managers for Hire
We’re ESG professionals that have a deep understanding of environmental and social sustainability issues. Plus, we can help your business develop and implement ESG reviews and sustainable practices that align with material goals. See some examples of ThisRock’s client work.
Sustainability Consultants can work 100% remotely – on virtual meetings or calls. Or, you can have them do a few visits to your office to meet you and your team. They may work with businesses in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, retail, hospitality, and more.
14 Things a Fractional Sustainability Manager can do:
- ESG Reviews: They can review your business on environmental, social and governance benchmarks and scales. These reviews are both on your business’ impact on people and planet, and material forces impacting your business. Some call this double materiality.
- Peer Reviews and Gap Assessments: ESG consultants can also do an assessment of your competitors on major sustainability factors. This is helpful as you can quickly see if your business is behind on ESG thinking, or if you can roll out something impactful as a differentiator for your business.
- Request For Proposal (RFP) ESG Preparation: Bidding on client work? Often, this process involves possible suppliers or vendors filling out RFPs. Nowadays, they include ESG questions such as “Do you know your Carbon footprint,” or “Do you have a Diversity and Inclusion policy?” Fractional Sustainability Managers can create a plan so you don’t miss out on new business because of ESG reasons.
- Sustainability Strategy Development and KPIs: Fractional sustainability managers can help businesses develop sustainability strategies and materialistic assessments that align with their goals and values. They can conduct a sustainability audit to assess the business’s current practices and develop a roadmap for improvement.
- Carbon Footprint Analysis: Fractional sustainability managers can help businesses measure their carbon footprint and identify opportunities to reduce emissions. They can also help businesses develop carbon reduction plans and track progress over time.
- Assurance of ESG Disclosure: Often businesses tack on “Sustainability” to an existing employee’s title. They offer them a workshop and rely on them to produce the company’s full Sustainability strategy. ESG Consultants can do what is called a third party verification. These are sometimes called assurances. Having someone outside your company review your carbon footprint, or net-zero metrics is helpful to build trust and avoid reputational issues.
- Supply Chain Sustainability: Fractional sustainability managers can work with businesses to assess the sustainability of their supply chains and identify opportunities to reduce environmental and social impacts.
- Sustainability Initiative Implementation: It’s one thing to have a great ESG strategy. It’s another to actually roll it out, and train employees to do it. For example, is your company implementing a new circulatory policy? You need help outlining education, owners, and measurements for success.
- Tracking Metrics and KPIs: Without data, people are naturally skeptical of a company’s ESG or sustainability policies. Having the data to back it up is great. For example, ESG Consultants can collect current-state data on your GHG emissions and Employee Wage ranges, and then track quarterly how you are improving. This builds trust.
- Employee Engagement: Fractional sustainability managers can help businesses engage their employees in sustainability initiatives. They can develop training programs, communication strategies, and incentives to encourage employees to adopt sustainable practices.
- Reporting and Disclosure: Fractional sustainability managers can help businesses prepare sustainability reports and disclosures that meet industry standards and stakeholder expectations. Not sure what reporting framework to use (e.g. TCFD, SASB, ISSB, GRI, UNSDGs, etc)? You’re not alone! They can recommend the right one or two for your business.
- Regulations and Mandates: Who has time to keep abreast of new country, local, or industry regulations and mandates around ESG? No one. Trust an ESG expert with this knowledge. Get their help so you can focus on your business.
- Grants for Environmental and Social Initiatives: If your business is working to save the planet or assist people and communities, you can benefit from grants or financial assistance. Len on a Fractional Sustainability Manager for this know-how so you can save time, and make money.
- Communications: Once your sustainability policy and report are ready, you need a great way to launch it into your company, to your customers, and into your community of partners and stakeholders. Writing a great website, emails, and presentations is something that great Sustainability Advisors can help with.
There are many more uses to hire an ESG Consultant for your business. Customers or lenders asking for a sustainability plan? Use these experts as your “phone a friend.”
Contact us anytime. We’d love to speak for 15-mins when it works for you.
What are the Benefits of Hiring a Fractional Sustainability Manager?
There are a handful of benefits to hiring a Fractional Sustainability Manager for your business.
- Cost Savings: Hiring a fractional sustainability manager is often more cost-effective than hiring a full-time sustainability professional. Yep – cheaper. Fractional sustainability managers work on a part-time basis, so businesses only pay for the services they need. Packages are often the best way to go. You can buy a “review, assessment and strategy” package often for a reasonable price.
- Expertise: Fractional sustainability managers have deep expertise in sustainability issues and can provide businesses with valuable insights and recommendations. They can help businesses develop sustainable practices that align with their goals and values. Learn more about us.
- Flexibility: Fractional sustainability managers work on a flexible basis, so businesses can hire them as needed. This allows businesses to get the sustainability support they need without committing to a full-time hire.
- Improved Reputation: Implementing sustainable practices can improve a business’s reputation and appeal to customers who prioritize sustainability. Hiring a fractional sustainability manager can help businesses develop and implement sustainable practices that improve their reputation.